Basic Club Information
Charlotte Country Club was founded in 1910 and is located four miles east of uptown Charlotte, in the historic Plaza-Midwood neighborhood. Charlotte Country Club is known as a top 10 private club in the US. Our CEO, Damon DiOrio, was recognized as the 2010 Executive of the Year by the Club Managers Association of America and received the 2011 Excellence in Club Management Award by Club Resort & Business Magazine.
Our 18-hole Donald Ross golf course was restored by architect Ron Prichard and was awarded the 2009 Best Remodel of the Year by Golf Digest. Our course is ranked #63 in GolfWeek's 2012 Classic Courses. The yardage is 7,335 yards with a 75.9 rating and 146 slope. Our Club has hosted three USGA championships: 1972 U.S. Men's Amateur, 2000 U.S. Senior Men's Amateur, and 2010 U.S. Women's Amateur.
Charlotte Country Club permits up to six member-sponsored Golf Outings each year (for 72-88 players). For more information on hosting a Golf Outing, please click the "Request Information" link on the left side of this page.
Our historic 68,000 square foot Clubhouse was restored in 2008-2009. The restoration included original moldings and millwork, chandeliers, priceless murals, antique furniture, and much more of our Club’s special treasures. This was truly a historic restoration to bring to life the rich traditions of our Club’s historic past.
Our outstanding tennis facilities include 12 clay courts, 4 hard courts, 3 indoor clay courts, and 2 squash courts. The pool complex houses five swimming pools including a competition pool, diving pool, adult pool, children's pool, and wading pool.
Weddings & Special Events
Our beautiful, historic facilities provide the perfect setting for weddings and special events. Whether you are interested in a small birthday party with five guests, or a large wedding reception with 500 guests, we are happy to accomodate your special requests. Please know that all functions must be Member-Sponsored. For more information regarding weddings and special events, please submit the request form located on the left side of this page.
A Brief History of Charlotte Country Club
Charlotte Country Club began as The Mecklenburg Club. This first Club was located west of the city adjoining a pond on or near Stewart Creek. The activities of this early Club were confined to card games, picnics, boating, and fishing.
In 1907 three men, who later became members of the present Club, obtained a charter for a corporation with Charlotte Country Club as its name. This plan failed and their certificate stating 'no stock sold - no business transacted', canceled the charter.
To avoid confusion with any earlier Club, the charter of the existing Club was filed February 21, 1910 as the Mecklenburg Country Club. In 1917 the charter was amended to change the name to Charlotte Country Club.
In 1910, golf was in its infancy in the United States, and there wasn't a golf course within fifty miles of Charlotte. The 1910 census counted 34,014 inhabitants living in Charlotte. Duke Power Company had just started to harness the Catawba River and this promised plentiful electric power for the Piedmont. Charlotte was the provincial financial and distribution center of an area emerging with Duke Power's help in attracting manufacturers into an industrial economy. The future was promising but as yet there was little wealth and few citizens with time and money for play.
In these circumstances, the founders launched a new country club. By May 17, 1910 , stock had been sold, the Club organized, a site selected, financial arrangements made, and land purchased from W.D. Rock. On the 219 acre site was a red brick house (known as the "Rock House"), erected sometime between 1870 and 1900, and considered a relatively handsome residence by prevailing standards. In short order, the house was remodeled and enlarged to provide a Clubhouse. The first nine holes of the golf course were completed and tennis courts constructed. The second nine holes were not completed until 1915.
In 1923 the Club members decided to pursue a new Clubhouse. On December 11, 1931, the new Clubhouse opened with over 1,000 members attending the gala opening. Major remodeling and additions to the Club and Clubhouse were undertaken again in late January 1989. The grand opening for this major renovation was highlighted by an open house and a formal dinner dance.
From the beginning, many fine citizens have contributed their time and efforts for this Club to become a place of rest, recreation and joy for those who belong and the greatest years lie ahead.
(Condensed from "The History of Charlotte Country Club")